Thursday, May 3, 2007

Binary thinking and Geometry in Motion

The good thing about life is that the lessons are re-taught to me, every time I forget them. Recently, I learnt just how Binary my thoughts have become. Yes/No, Win/Loss, In/Out, etc. Maybe it has to do with my sales role, where it's all about chasing numbers. And I also started realizing (yet again) that I am not good at Binary. I prefer 0.5 instead of 0 or 1. Need to get out of sales, or at least into non-linear sales - spurts and dips, instead of Linearity. Strange part is that after exactly 3 quarters of the sales cycle, I'm at exactly 75% of my sales quota!
Need to get more non-linear! :)

Watched an episode on National Geographic about martial arts. And how attacking/defending moves in martial arts follow precise geometric shapes. But most revealing of all was the realization that it is geometry "in motion" !! Not static, but dynamic equations. Equations of "Flow". Same thought hit me while reading "It happened in India" by Kishore Biyani. He emphasizes "fluid" thinking rather than Binary/Static thinking. And if you can develop "Geometry in Motion", it gives rise to the most spectacular moves! Watch any Martial Arts champ and you'll know what I'm saying!