Monday, June 29, 2009

Sadness about India's priorities

Here in the US, I look at the daily life - latest in technology reaching the public domain, the kids enjoying lots of outdoor games in well-maintained public parks, serious pursuit of hobbies by young and old alike, and many other things which appeal to my sense of a good life for a middle-class wage-earner.
When I surf the news sites of India, I hear about the same old clogged drains in Mumbai (leading to war-like traffic situation), education on auction, people fighting to create more states, ransacking of public property by political parties - things which make a middle-class wage-earner's life miserable and always at the mercy of his/her countrymen.

What affects ME may not necessarily affect everyone stuck in a muddle, during the mid-point of their lives. These differences in the lives of the same person in 2 different countries, make me wonder why I should go back to India - to the same problems that never get resolved, to the same mindsets that encourage cut-throat competition from early childhood in every walk of life, to the same struggle to stay one step ahead of the curve every single day.

Pros and cons considered - I think the US is a much better place for me to stay for the next few years. What happens after that is anyone's guess - and I dont want to think so far in the future.