Monday, July 23, 2007

Connectedness = Isolation

The more connected I get, the more isolated I get. I have 2 active email ids, am on 2 social-network sites, am on 2 messengers, and have an active mobile phone directory. I would think I'm really connected. And I am.
And this is increasingly leading to isolation. Due to rapid/immediate access to all my pals, I know what each one is upto, almost on a daily basis. And due to this, I feel so connected, that I dont feel like making that extra effort to meet up! Which leads to virtual-connectedness but physical-isolation. I can always re-schedule meeting a friend, call/message/scrap or promise him/her that the next time I fly into their city, I'll definitely catch up. Oh yeah, flying has become very common too.

I think the more the world is shrinking, the more its growing apart. Effort to meet-in-person is drastically reducing, as the novelty value of "catching up" is dying due to too much and instantaneous connectivity.