Saturday, January 13, 2007

A lifelong student of Warren Buffett

If there's one thing Warren Buffett has done...is to make me like Finance. A few days of reading his letters to shareholders of Berkshire Hathaway, has removed a 27-year long hatred of Finance. And for that, I remain indebted to him forever. ("Finance" for me stands for everything to do with mathematics, accounting, investments, economics, etc, etc!)

I need not explain what his letters have done for me, it is for you to read them at:
http://www.berkshirehathaway.com/letters/letters.html
As they say, the best things in life are free, just as these letters which can be freely downloaded.

Written from 1976, these letters give an annual account of why Berkshire made certain investments, why it's holding onto some of them, and why it finally decided to sell off some. Although not for the short-term "speculator", the letters are gold for the dedicated, long-term investor. Interspersed with his terrific wit and humor, these letters made my dull world of Finance into an enjoyable and educative experience.

I hope with this note of appreciation, Warren Buffett will slightly alter his statement about new MBAs - "It's difficult to teach a new dog old tricks"

Thanks for everything, Mr. Buffett!