Saturday, December 16, 2006

Change the world? Or exploit its inefficiencies?

Last few days, I've been thinking...
For many years now, I've thought the world needs to change and I can make that happen. For many years, I've thought one single person can change the world. And in the past few months, I've been thinking - why does it need to change at all ? And is it so easy for one man alone to change it?
I think the world has "evolved" over time, not "changed". Change that is slow, sustainable and shaped by multiple events around the world, is evolution. And no one person can ever do that by himself. And the world will continue to evolve as we go along, by many multiple events across the world - some linked, some independent, by many people. There is no point trying to change everything, because that will never happen. The world knows what's good for it, and will continue to evolve based on situations and aspirations of the billions of people that inhabit it.

But should I not bother at all? Nope. I should try and change what I feel strongly about, and what will be the larger good of many people. Only such change will be acceptable, and even then, will be through the actions of multiple people and not one person alone.

On the other hand, there are a lot of inefficiencies in the world. Most common and researched among them is the stock market inefficiency. Now, should I try to change the entire stock market? Nope. The inefficiencies here are meant to be exploited. The inefficiencies here prompt me to use my head, think, play the game and profit from it. Why should I change it when I cannot and when it does not need change? After all, its always inequalities that create opportunities. And these opportunities can be spotted and exploited only if I use my head and open my eyes.

So, its pretty much a balance. Change what I feel strongly about (and have it in me to push the world) - and at the same time, profit from its inefficiencies which I cannot change or do not need to.