Sunday, October 7, 2007

Experience with online marriage sites

Disclaimer: I havent really done justice with using these sites with full functionality. (online chat, voip calls, horoscope-match, etc, etc - i am too cheap to pay for something i am not convinced about)


The marriage websites have actually helped me understand what I am really looking for in a match. And they have disappointed me thoroughly with raw data, thoroughly standardized descriptions of oneself and what one is looking for. Descriptions of oneself and one's expectations couldn't get more boring than this.

Samples :
"I am a down to earth girl looking for a down to earth guy" - WTF ??!!
"I am a humble, well-mannered girl looking for a humble well-mannered guy" - BALLS!!
"I am A, B, C. He should be X, Y, Z. " - Yeah, that makes sense.
"He should be Non-smoking, non-drinking" - WoooHoo!! All the best in your search!

It's quite sad that the expectations are nowhere in line with reality or with a view to the future. Static report-cards are presented on the website and I can close my eyes and shoot out "Express-Interests" since the" MOULD of a Good Groom" is so bloody predictable!

The only thing these websites have done is that they have made the match-makers go online. Much like one can buy bread and eggs online instead of at the store - one can find matches online instead of in the temple's marriage-register. Much more convenient, no doubt about it.

Although, what these sites have made me realize is that I am not looking for a standard wife. At least I know that about myself now.
Also, it has made me realize, quite sadly so, that I spend slightly more time going through profiles of better looking women than those who are not. That's a truth about myself I have realized. This fact though has not made me put up a better looking picture of myself! :) My mom cant understand why I've put up a what-she-calls-silly picture. I guess deep down, I want to get rejected online.
And find someone who is not a static report-card.